Saturday, January 03, 2009

The Youngest, The Oldest, It's All About Wheels Baby!

This past week brought new wheel experiences to my oldest granddaughter and my youngest granddaughter.

Erin, my oldest granddaughter, who turned 16 in October, rode down to Florida with me a week ago, along with her mother and two sisters, to pick up the car she (her parents actually) bought from her Aunt Jamie. Erin helped drive part of the way down and eased the burden of that 13-14 hour task that her mom and I were sharing. I felt safe and comfortable with her at the wheel but have to admit to having some concern about seeing her turned loose on her own with a 2,000 pound weapon vehicle.

We all know that this car is not the dream vehicle of most 16 year old girls but it is in good shape, was purchased at a bargain price and certainly beats feet (as I used to tell my girls about the company vehicle I was able to pick up when they were that age for a great price).

Here's a shot of Erin sitting in her vehicle after we finally made it to my daughter's home in Florida.



Kayla, my youngest granddaughter, also found freedom with wheels this past week as she gave up the training wheels on her bicycle. I really enjoyed watching the expression on her face as she realized she was doing it all on her own. For a six year old (who will officially turn seven today), this is as much freedom as her older cousin has with her new car.

Here are a couple of shots of Kayla feeling the need for speed while riding her bike in the church parking lot down the road from their home. There's also a video of her making an Evel Kneivel jump over a curb that I will upload and post later.




(oh, please don't tell her momma that I forgot her headgear and pads)


I am just wondering what happened to the Barbie Jeeps, tricycles and wagons? For that matter, we were pushing both of these girls around in strollers not that long ago. Time is flying by and I can't seem to keep up with how fast they are growing up. No wonder I am feeling old!

Labels: , ,

posted by Marsha at

5 Comments:

Blogger Libby's Library said...

It seems that the older we get the faster that time goes by. My oldest grand son started high school this school year, and it seems like he was "just born yesterday".

You must not have gone too far into FL, because I think that you are several hours north of me, and it takes us about 11 hours to get inland from Daytona. Driving through the Panhandle seems to take forever.

Saturday, January 3, 2009 at 1:35:00 PM CST  
Blogger Marsha said...

Hey Neas. My daughter lives north of Tampa. It takes me 12 hours when I am on my own but longer with Dee and her girls because there are now 5 girls / women to "go" at each stop so you can add at least an hour or two to the trip. It is around 740 miles here from my house.

Sunday, January 4, 2009 at 9:28:00 AM CST  
Blogger Linda said...

It's a joy watching our children and grandchildren grow, and at the same time it's a reminder of how old we are getting. Erin and Kayla are lovely girls.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 at 5:41:00 PM CST  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Going from no training wheels to a real car does not take long..it just happens over night it seems..Thanks for dropping by and nice to have you back...

Thursday, January 8, 2009 at 2:23:00 PM CST  
Blogger carmilevy said...

They definitely grow up too quickly. Our oldest son is 14, and he's already begun the countdown to getting his driver's license. I can feel the gray hair growing in already!

Thursday, January 15, 2009 at 10:23:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home