Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Lensbaby Effect


I used an effect called lensbaby on this photo of my niece, Melanie, taken after her wedding. I followed a tutorial that was written for Photoshop which I don't have so I adapted it for Paint Shop Pro. You can find the tutorial here.


click photo for larger view
The effect is done to emulate a photographic technique used by professional photographers, through the use of software. I'm sure with practice I could do better at applying this technique but I was happy with it for a first attempt. Lensbaby produces a graduated 'dreamy' or porcelain look as it focuses in on the subject, which I had a hard time leaving alone. I wanted Melanie to stand out completely so I didn't apply the effect as fully over the image as I could have. The edges were then selectively darkened to add more drama to the photo. I added the old photo style frame and titling after the lensbaby effect was completed for my personal taste. I tried this effect on a black and white version of this image but didn't like that as much as the color version you see here. I do think that on the right black and white photo that the final results would be even more dramatic.

The main reason I think this one turned out as well as it did is the subject. She is beautiful! Love you Mel!

Labels: ,

posted by Marsha at

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks sis! She may be a pain in butt sometimes but she is beautiful
Love ya!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 11:48:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's a beautiful girl and stunning bride. Love the 'glow' you gave her!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 8:45:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Marsha said...

She's only a pain in the butt to her momma... to her auntie m, she is just beautiful!

Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 9:32:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Linda said...

I'll have to bookmark this tut. I'm going Monday with my daughter-in-law to be to see her wedding gown. I'll be wanting to try my hand with different effects with all the wedding pics I'll be getting.

This is lovely!!!

Saturday, October 27, 2007 at 3:16:00 PM CDT  
Blogger A Soul's Heartbeat said...

Oh what a beautiful photo, I love the effect and will have to check it out. Thanks for visiting my blog! It's so fun to roam around the blog world and see everyones take on this fascinating hobby.

Sunday, October 28, 2007 at 2:51:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home