Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Timing and a Prayer Request

Many are the plans in a man's heart,
but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails.
Proverbs 19:21

To man belong the plans of the heart,
but from the Lord comes the reply of the tongue...

In his heart a man plans his course,
but the Lord determines his steps.
Proverbs 16:1,9


I'm reminded often in my life of the importance of timing. When things happen can be more important in the outcome of events than the event itself. Timing determines how the event affects one's life. A positive event that occurs at the wrong time may cost time or money and perhaps even hope if we allow it.

Because of my human nature, I sometimes often lament not only the happenings in my life but the time of my life when they occur. I am guilty of falling prey to self-pity more than I care to admit. I long to be better at accepting things as they come to me instead of wasting time wishing they had happened differently.

I've had such an occurrence in the past few days and I have had to adapt to something positive that came at the wrong time for me to get the maximum value from it. I struggled with the timing and why it came too late for me to able to get the full measure of satisfaction from if it had only happened just a few months earlier. I had to remind myself that if I didn't stop looking at this event in that negative way, that not only had I lost out on what could have been but that I would be costing myself the satisfaction of what is really happening in my life as it is occurring. I can't change the how or when of what happened but I can adjust my attitude.

How sad it is that so often the events in the lives of others bring about my change of heart. When I looked at my disappointment in relationship to life and death events in the lives of others, I was once again brought up short. My cousin's wife was recently diagnosed with an aggressive, malignant brain tumor. They have sought opinions from the best of the best and come away with the same diagnosis. She has a few short weeks of quality time left with her family and less than a year to live. The options that are available to them are not many nor are they encouraging. Treatment might extend her time but could possibly affect her ability to enjoy whatever positive or quality time she has available to her.

As for me, I am returning, at least temporarily, to the workforce as a contractor. I am thankful for the opportunity and today, I am truly grateful that the offer came through even though not at the best time for me to make the most of it financially. God does not give me control over the when or the why but I was given the choice of how I handle what is in front of me, no matter how big or small. Mine is a small thing, especially when compared to life and death matters.

Please join me in prayer for my cousin and his wife and their family as they face the horrendous decision before them.

Labels: ,

posted by Marsha at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home