Wednesday, September 05, 2007

A New Study

This starts the sixth year I've participated in long term studies at my church. Over the past five years, I have completed Disciple Studies I - IV and associated studies including Christian Believer and Jesus in the Gospels. Last year, I did two of the studies, which was often difficult to keep up with, but I am so glad I did because one of the two classes I took was with Margaret before she got too sick to attend. Our friend and associate pastor, Betty, led that study and she herself is now battling breast cancer. You can read about my friends here.

The Disciple series studies are involved and each course of study lasts 32 to 34 weeks. These studies obviously require a commitment from the participants to not only complete the study(s) but also encourages and prepares you to live as a disciple.

The study I've chose this year is Companions In Christ. This study is only 28 weeks and is focused more towards personal spiritual formation and growth in the individual. I think this is the right time and the right study for me.

We had our orientation meeting last night and picked up the books we will use during this study. Along with the participant's book, we will also maintain a journal that was designed for this course. I'm really looking forward to this class.

On a side note, I found out that the Mission Group has had a change of plans and will not be going to Red Bird as planned in two weeks and has decided to make another trip to New Orleans instead. This will be our fifth mission trip to the area and I have made them all. I would love to go if I can work it out.

I was also presented with a challenge (or an opportunity as some would say) last night that I need to give time and consideration to before agreeing to what would be a long term commitment on my part. My gut is saying accept it; my heart is saying accept it; my head says take your time and pray about it. And so I will.
posted by Marsha at

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

I like this, but I have a hard time getting people interested in a course longer than 7 weeks.

Sunday, September 9, 2007 at 10:23:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home