Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Wordless Wednesday - February 4, 2009

click picture to enlarge

I had a visitor at my back porch yesterday. I couldn't believe that he actually came this close to the house. Yet in doing so, he ensured himself a wonderful meal of seed and grain dropped from the bird feeder hanging from the eave of the porch.

I even managed to catch a quick video of him.


My Back Porch Buddy on Vimeo.

What you can't see in the pictures or the video, are the number of birds hovering around the feeder above him. The birds come every morning like clockwork, a mix of cardinals, chickadees and sparrows among others, but the squirrels never get this close. They generally prefer to maintain their distance and stay near the big tree toward the back of the yard. Apparently, this little guy was so tempted by the treats on the ground that he decided to go where no squirrel had gone before... all the way to my back porch!

click picture to enlarge

I was just lucky I spotted the little guy before Ginger did and scared him away forever with that booming bark of hers. He still nervously scurried off several times but returned over and over to grab whatever morsels he could find. He even came all the way up on the porch at one point but I had already put the camera down and he ran off again before I could pick it up and get focused on him.

Perhaps someday, I really will manage to do a true "wordless" entry... but it just wasn't meant to happen today!

Check out Wordless Wednesday to see a list of all participants in this weekly meme.

Labels: ,

posted by Marsha at

18 Comments:

Blogger Ken said...

Cute little guy. One of those ran into my garage once and then ran back out.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 12:51:00 AM CST  
Blogger Gill said...

Oh he is so cute!! Paula saw her first squirrel on our trip to Cape Town last year and fell instantly in love. I'm going to have to bring her by your blog for a look this afternoon :-)

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 12:58:00 AM CST  
Blogger Napaboaniya.Elaine Ling said...

A cool visitor that's hungry and fearless! :)

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 1:30:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute little bugger :D

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 1:47:00 AM CST  
Blogger Robin said...

What a cutie. There are no squirrels in Israel so whenever we go to the States my kids go crazy to see them. To them, the squirrels are the most exotic animals in the zoo LOL.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 2:17:00 AM CST  
Blogger Gattina said...

What an adorable visitor ! The squirrels in Belgium are smaller and red !very shy and you don't see them often.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 2:57:00 AM CST  
Blogger Marsha said...

There are times when I have had as many as 9 or 10 squirrels playing in my backyard... they come to get the corn that I put out and then run to and fro, chasing one another from yard to yard, tree to tree but they always keep a healthy distance from the house. It was very unusual to see one come so near.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 3:02:00 AM CST  
Blogger SandyCarlson said...

He reminds me of my daughter's guinea pig. I admire their audacity.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 4:06:00 AM CST  
Blogger Libby's Library said...

I love squirrels - but haven't seen a single one, in my new yard. My husband calls them tree rats, but I think that they are adorable.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 7:37:00 AM CST  
Blogger Barb said...

I just love squirrels! Yours looks a bit shorter in the face than ours. I did a post a few days ago about squirrels and discovered that there are over more than 300 kinds of squirrels worldwide! :)

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 8:24:00 AM CST  
Blogger Dianne - Bunny Trails said...

Oh how cute! Guess hunger outweighed fear for him. Great shots!! :D

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 9:10:00 AM CST  
Blogger Robyn Jones said...

I love squirrels...I am probably not popular with my neighbors...but I encourage them...LOL!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 9:25:00 AM CST  
Blogger Mojo said...

The squirrels around here aren't nearly so shy. But they seem to get that way as soon as I get the camera out!

Nice shooting!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 10:52:00 AM CST  
Blogger jams o donnell said...

What a cute little fellow!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 1:07:00 PM CST  
Blogger Linda said...

We see squirrels a lot around here. Up at the Capitol they will come up to you begging for food.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 4:35:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always nice to have friends in the neighborhood.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 4:49:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so cute. and you were lucky to snap a pic..I don't think I would've made it - these lil' ones are fast!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 9:20:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cutie of a squirrel! And thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment, much appreciated.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 at 11:40:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home