Monday, January 26, 2009

My Ugly Mug

Flash back to Mother's Day 1979. Earlier that year, my husband and I had separated and I found out the day before Mother's Day, that he had not taken them anywhere to get me a card or gift. The girls asked if I would take them shopping so they could buy me a present. I loaded them up, along with their brother and headed into town. John and I wandered around while they were looking, waiting for them to make a loving and thoughtful decision about what to purchase with their limited funds.

When they came out of the last store with package in hand, they were giggly and seemed pleased with themselves. I was touched by their thoughtfulness and knew, that no matter how small their gift might be, that it was symbolic of their love for me. I just knew... I just needed to believe... that while my marriage was falling apart, my relationship with my children would always sustain me and lift me up, even as my self-confidence waned. I couldn't wait to open my present that year!

This is what they gave me on Mother's Day!




The truth is, I was so surprised by this gift that I'm sure I didn't react as well as a mother should when her children give her a present that is, let's say less than desirable. I was overly sensitive at that point in my life and suppose I was afraid that my children thought of me as an Aggie joke! How silly my reaction seems to me today.

This mug has been a source of jokes in our family for the past thirty years and when I told the girls I was going to submit it for a contest, they couldn't believe that I still had it. In all honesty, this mug has kept me humble over the years and I wouldn't part with it for anything.

I talked to each of my girls today and asked them what they were thinking back then. I loved their comments.

Jamie:

"I was just a kid and I thought it was funny."
"Besides that, it was cheap."
"It was Dee's idea!"
"I always wondered why the clerk kept asking if that was what we really wanted to give you."


Dee:

"Mom, I was only nine or ten."
"I was a follower back then, it was Jamie's idea."
"I didn't even know what an Aggie was."
"We really tried mom, honest!"


While I was talking to Jamie, she had to do something and gave the phone to Kayla, my youngest granddaughter who had just turned seven a few weeks before. I asked her what she thought about her mommy and aunt Dee buying me a really silly present when they were little girls and what she thought I should do to them for being so silly. She didn't hesitate. She simply told me that I should say thank you because her mommy told her to always say thank you when people give her gifts, even if the gift isn't exactly what she wanted. See what I mean about this mug. Even when viewed through the eyes of a seven year old, I am humbled by it and reminded that I am a very fortunate woman.



So thank you girls, thank you for the mug and for years of love and caring and joy. I'm only sorry that it took thirty years to find a purpose for it. Please know that I love my ugly Aggie Mug. Someday, I hope to find two more just like it!

John, just be glad you were only four or I might be looking for three of them!

********************** PLEASE GO VOTE **********************

Go to 2nd Cup Of Coffee and follow Linda's instructions on how to vote! Please, vote for me, as it will go a long way toward improving my scarred relationship with my children and how people of the world view Aggies in general. Perhaps I could get a new mug with the Starbucks gift certificate that the winner will receive... I mean really, have you ever tried drinking from an Aggie mug?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

posted by Marsha at

19 Comments:

Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Oh Marsha, this story wins, hands down, for sure. I could say so much about your post, but let me be concise--your granddaughter's response is evidence that you were a great mom! Thanks for playing along. And you know what? If you re-worked this, you could publish it somewhere, I just know it.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 6:36:00 AM CST  
Blogger Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

The mug has been redeemed indeed if you win!
. . . I'm a loser for sure after this story.
And, I'm slow. What's an Aggie?

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 6:54:00 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great post... and it's very clear your children love you bunches. Came to see your ugly mug but it has a strong sweet savor when flavored with the story. Nice to meet you!

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 7:06:00 AM CST  
Blogger Marsha said...

Linda, thank you for such kind words... and for hosting such a fun contest. This has been a hoot!

Esthermay, an Aggie is anyone who has attended Texas A&M University and Aggie jokes are quite common in the southeast US in particular. They are similar to the jokes one would make about any rival university. A&M grads were likely to enter the agriculture industry years ago which is where I assume the jokes started in the first place... you know, they were just a bunch of dumb farmers... that type of thing. The truth is, of course, that it is a well respected school of higher lurnin'!

Thank you Beverly. I've enjoyed traveling through the entries and seeing the marvelous sense of humor that Linda's readers and fellow ugly muggers have!

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 8:07:00 AM CST  
Blogger a Tonggu Momma said...

Hey! My high school best friend is an Aggie! What exactly are you are you trying to say? :)

(And I thank God daily that I didn't attend there. Not really. But I do thank Him when I think of it. Like right now.)

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 9:08:00 AM CST  
Blogger MamaTeeThree said...

I'm an Aggie, but I do enjoy good Aggie jokes! I think I've actually seen a mug like this before, too!

Great story!

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 9:25:00 AM CST  
Blogger Mocha with Linda said...

Oh, that's so sweet. But it's a great mug!

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:54:00 AM CST  
Blogger Esthermay Bentley-Goossen said...

Marsha: Thank you.
I am indeed a dumb Minnesotan.
But I can tell a mean IOWA Joke.
I get it now.
The Aggie deserves a second look!

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:28:00 AM CST  
Blogger Susanne said...

The story behind the mug is absolutely the best. I think it is sweet that you have kept it all these years.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:57:00 AM CST  
Blogger Lois said...

This voting is taking on a serious venue. So many ugly mugs with such wonderful stories. This is most precious.
Lois

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 12:12:00 PM CST  
Blogger Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Even if you don't win Linda's prize you have the greater and priceless prize of two wonderful daughters - who still blame each other :)

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 1:45:00 PM CST  
Blogger Becky said...

That mug is truly bizarre and ugly. Totally hilarious too, I would love it if it didn't actually say aggie mug on it :-p

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 3:21:00 PM CST  
Blogger Phyllis@Aimless Conversation said...

What a story...

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 7:03:00 PM CST  
Blogger Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

You mug story is so sweet and brings an old tear to the eye. this was a fun day

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 7:06:00 PM CST  
Blogger Greg C said...

I am holding my vote pending a good payoff. It was a good story though so I am leaning toward your mug.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 7:06:00 PM CST  
Blogger Linda said...

I just popped over the 2nd cup of coffee and submitted my vote for you. Hope you win!! We have all received ugly gifts from our kids. At least they tried.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 7:22:00 PM CST  
Blogger Unknown said...

That post was beautiful. I agree, you could publish it elsewhere...probably for$! I hate to say, but I think your mug wins the most beautiful mug.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 10:05:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, January 26, 2009 at 11:10:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get my vote for the Ugly Mug contest hands down. Carol

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at 7:19:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home