Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Random Dozen - October 7, 2009


Hosted by:
Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee


*** post edited to add picture to answer 2 after finally doing a search of my computer to find it. I thought I had one of the picture after it was signed and framed but apparently not.

1. On an average, how often do you splurge and buy something for yourself?

Very seldom.

2. Are you more like Hall or Oates? Just kidding. Real question: What is the last creative project you began/finished? Feel free to post a pic of it.


It isn't really the last project I completed but the one I'm most pleased with that I will mention here. I did an oil painting several years ago that I gave to my mother. It is of a mother and daughter walking through a field of mustard that first reminded me of the field that we walked up to get to her (step) grandfather's grave site in Tennessee. Although she and I walked through that field together as adults, it occurred to me that my mom and her mother may have walked hand in hand through similar fields when my mother was a little girl. Her mother, my grandmother, died when mom was only six years old and the emotional impact of that connection is what drove me to complete the painting. It hangs in her living room to this day.

3. OK, Goldie Locks, do you consider your house too big, too little or juuuust right?

I have too many rooms for me these days. I like the amount of space but would prefer less rooms now that my children are grown and gone. Four bedrooms, a formal living room, dining room and a family room along with two and half bathrooms seem like a lot for one little lady and her dog. Three bedrooms would be perfect, larger and less furniture to maintain, dust, etc. Same with the formal areas. I don't use them at all. I would like to incorporate that space into other areas of the house but the expense of doing so is prohibitive.

4. What is your favorite outdoor chore?

Planting and nurturing but I don't do enough of it!

5. If you knew that cigarette smoking was not bad for your health but would be a weight loss tool, would you use it? Why or why not?

I gave up smoking almost 14 years ago. Even if it were not an unhealthy thing to do, I would not smoke again because of the control the habit had over me and I don't ever want to let something like that control my life again. I was always looking for a place to smoke so I wouldn't offend others, and I hated the stale odor in my house and car and on my clothes, not to mention the cost. No way will I ever let that into my life again. I'll either exercise and eat better or I'll just carry a few extra pounds... smoking is not an option for me ever again.

6. On a road trip, would you rather drive or ride?

Since there's usually only me, I always drive and it gets old and tiresome. I do like to drive so I would prefer to share the driving chores if someone were with me.

7. What do you consider a trivial pursuit?

A game! HA!

8. This weekend, we downloaded the movie "Duplicity" with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. Within 5 minutes, I was bored and annoyed, but I kept watching 5-10 minutes at a time hoping it would get better between small chores. I finally gave up and Jorge watched it alone, and then regretted wasting that time because he disliked it intensely, too. So ... how long do you watch a movie or read a book before giving up on it?

If I'm in a theatre and actually paid full price for admission and the cost of snacks, I would probably stick it out to the end, but if I'm home and it's a cheap rental or freebie, I'm outta there PDQ... usually though, I just fall asleep (sometimes at the theater too!)

9. Is there a song that you really love but are embarrassed to admit because it's not cool or it's racy or because it's by Hall and Oates?

I don't feel embarrassed by what I like, whether it's songs or anything else... others may think I should be but that's their problem! (I like Hall and Oates, well some of their songs anyway!)

10. On a scale of 1-10 (10 = extremely) how spontaneous are you?

Not very maybe a 4 or 5.

11. Are you a food and/or beverage snob?

Not really, although I do have preferences for certain foods, methods of preparation or brands, but I don't think I'm snobby about it.

12. Who/What are you trying to control in your life?

Myself, my emotions, my need to try to fix everything and make it all better for everyone.

Labels:

posted by Marsha at

3 Comments:

Blogger Betty W said...

I enjoyed reading your answers! Don´t you just love this meme? :)
Although we are pretty different, I liked getting to know you.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 at 4:08:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Kim said...

Your painting is amazing! What a wonderful gift; I'm sure your mom treasures it.

My son quit smoking this year. I'm so proud of him! And you! And everyone else who has ever quit! :-)

Enjoyed reading your answers. Have a great week!

Thursday, October 8, 2009 at 8:55:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous the Provident Woman said...

Great answers

Tuesday, October 20, 2009 at 3:04:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home