Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day 1969 - Where Were You?

On Mother's Day, May 11, 1969, I know exactly where I was... and for good reason. I gave birth to my second child on that day. My little Dee Dee Doll, came into being shortly after two o'clock that Sunday morning 39 years ago today. Like almost everything in Dee's life, it happened on her terms. I was not due for another week, but on the Friday afternoon before Mother's Day, my water broke. Later that day, I started having very light contractions and my doctor wanted me to come to the hospital, even though I didn't think I was ready. By mid-morning Saturday, I was sent home as labor was not progressing. As soon as I got home, the labor escalated again but I stayed put until I knew it was time. At around seven that evening, my doctor decided to meet me at the emergency room, where he made the command decision to send me home again, even though I knew I was well into labor (and no, he did not deliver my third child). Shortly after ten, we were back on our way to the hospital again and this time I stuck around and Dee Ann finally made her appearance at 2:11 am on Sunday morning. Immediately after, my blood pressure dropped and I was near shock but I survived Dee's entrance into the world and I'm still shocked to be the mother of this magnificent girl.

Here is a glimpse of my very independent, amazingly beautiful, extraordinarily talented and quite intelligent daughter, Dee.


At one week with her cousin Missi who was born 6 weeks before Dee.


Eating her first birthday cake!


One of my favorite school pictures of Dee


Taken for her graduation from East Tennessee State University School of Nursing. Dee graduated Summa Cum Laude. And yes, it is okay to brag on your daughter when she is as smart and beautiful as Dee! (My mother loves this picture of Dee. To her all nurses should still wear hats! They should also know how to make beds with hospital corners!)



One of the first pictures of Dee as a new mother with my first granddaughter, Erin.


This is a fun picture of Dee and all three of her girls ready to cruise! Erin is in the front with Dee, Emily is sitting behind her mom and Sarah Grace completes the picture!

Happy 39th Dee Dee Doll!
I love you!



Oh, and for extra good measure, here are a couple of pictures of my wonderful mother, who I will be heading up to Indiana to see in less than two weeks!




This is a picture of mom and her younger sister, my aunt Leah.
Mom's on the left with her eyes closed!
WOW Mom! You were a hottie...


and still are!

Happy Mother's Day Mom!

Labels: , ,

posted by Marsha at

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I know where I was when Dee was born and I also remember all you went thru to have her. She was a beautiful little girl and is a beautiful woman too!

Auntie R

Sunday, May 11, 2008 at 9:23:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

Happy Mother's day to you too.

Monday, May 12, 2008 at 9:59:00 PM CDT  
Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Loved the memory sharing, Marsha. The pic of your mom with her sister is priceless.

Wednesday, May 14, 2008 at 2:52:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Mercedes said...

1969~I wasn't born yet-another three years yet. Lovely story! My mother's name is Debra and everyone calls her Dee.

Thursday, May 29, 2008 at 6:24:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home