Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Bit Of Nature On Picadilly Road

Here's some of the pictures I've captured while I've been here at mom's. Dad used to love sitting on the swing on the front porch and listening to and watching the birds and squirrels at play. Mom and I have enjoyed relaxing out on the porch and some bird-watching during this visit. Due to her health she has really cut back on what she has to maintain now. I am really hoping that the physical therapy she will start this week will help her build her strength up enough to stay here as long as she wants.















One of mom's double petunias in one of the hanging baskets on her front porch. I was trying out settings on my camera and liked the way this one turned out.















I caught this cardinal through mom's kitchen window as he was feasting on the corn we put out for the squirrels.















I caught him again perched on the neighbor's fence. I was zoomed in as far as I could get and managed to get a reasonably decent shot of him.















I love how the birds eat from the squirrel feeder and the squirrels empty this front yard bird feeder almost daily. There's always plenty spilled out onto the ground below the feeder so the birds still get lots of seed from it one way or the other. They frequent it often when the squirrels run away















This little fellow took off the day I shot these pictures and scampered to his haven in one of the neighbor's trees. I got a trail of pictures of him as he left.
















I wasn't happy with the quality of this photo but I it was as good as I could get trying to zoom in to get this small nuthatch as he was working on the corn. I'm still learning this camera and all the settings.
















This finch feeder hangs from the other large tree mom has in her front yard.















There are finches here almost continuously throughout the day. There is a dove who often hangs out below this feeder and the one the squirrels rob from to pick up what's dropped on the ground. Mom seems to think he must have lost his mate as he is always alone.
















A couple of robins, just bob-bob-bobbin' along.















Mom has several 'windmill' birds in her front flower bed. We both picked up one of these larger bluebird 'windmills' from a craftsman sitting on the side of the road on one of our trips to Tennessee. I still have mine as well.

These are only a few of the birds that visit her feeders. There are bluejays, blackbirds, barn swallows, the single dove we see daily and one small bird that neither of us recognizes, among others. I'm not really good at recognizing any except the more common birds. I haven't been able to get pictures of the rabbits that hang around the area, but I do have more photos that I've taken since I've been here that I will post later. Be on the lookout for hot air balloons, a little fisherman and a covered bridge.

Labels: ,

posted by Marsha at

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

I love your birds! I just saw a goldfinch on a walk with Scout! My sister is a bird-watcher. Maybe I'll e-mail her your post!

Monday, June 25, 2007 at 5:49:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home