Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful!

Since today is a day of thanksgiving, I would like to start by saying I'm most thankful that my family and friends are all safe and healthy today.

My oldest daughter is in Florida, preparing a thanksgiving meal for her family and her new in-laws and some friends. My middle child is making dinner for her girls and their father before she has to go to work later today (bad part about being an RN in a hospital) on the other side of state from where I live. My son drove all night, after getting off work at after midnight last night and made it home safely around ten this morning. I made dinner for the two of us here. If any of you know where Cox's Army is, please send them here because I'm pretty sure I have enough leftover to feed them all.

Poor John was not just tired when he got here, he is also quite sick. He stayed awake long enough to eat a meal he could barely taste and then went to bed after canceling plans to meet friends later today to ride four wheelers. I am thankful that although he is not feeling well, that he has a safe place to lay his head and that he is smart enough to know he needs to sleep and rest if he wants to get over this flu or cold or whatever he has. I am hopeful that I will not be on the receiving end of whatever he brought home with him. I am happy that he thanked me for what he was sure was probably a very good meal before he went to bed. I am thankful that he learned to express appreciation somewhere, anywhere, whether from me or someone else along the way.

As for me, I am tired. My back hurts, my feet hurt and I am exhausted. I am thankful for the opportunity to get this tired and achy. I am thankful that our dinner is over and cleanup is mostly done. I am thankful that I can finally lay down, on the couch in front of the tv with my laptop... not to mention how grateful I am for the Alleve and the heating pad.

I am very thankful that my mother is having dinner in her own home with my two brothers and part of their families. She is 85 years old and still in the middle of all of the preparation, even if she is huffing and puffing a bit as she works. She likes being needed and loves taking care of those she cares about... it is good for her (within reason)!

I am thankful that my sister is safe and well in her home in North Carolina, with her husband and youngest daughter. I'm thankful that her oldest daughter is celebrating with her husbands family as the two of them prepare to welcome their first child next year. We are all waiting on baby boy Miller to make his way into the world and to settle in our hearts once we finally get a name. I love that Melanie and I have the same last name... just thought I would throw that in there. I also love her husband Michael. I think they will be terrific parents.

My prayers go out to those who may be hurting and suffering in some way today, whether it is health issues, financial woes or other concerns or losses, such as my friend Gill whose mother passed away this week. In the midst of our thanksgiving, life (and death) marches on.

God help us to put one foot in front of the other and face what comes our way on this Thanksgiving Day and every day. Help us to be a thankful people.

Labels: , ,

posted by Marsha at

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I am Thankful that everything is going well....plus the fact that I didn't cook today!

Thursday, November 27, 2008 at 11:35:00 PM CST  
Blogger Linda said...

Hope John is feeling better and hope you didn't catch his cold.

Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. Now its time to gear-up for the Christmas holidays.

Monday, December 1, 2008 at 7:03:00 PM CST  
Blogger Gill said...

I'm finally catching up on some blog reading. Thanks so much for thinking of me in the middle of your Thanksgiving, you're a very special friend!!

Sunday, December 7, 2008 at 12:17:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home